Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 21:50:13 PDT

At 4:40 AM +0000 6/4/05, timothy.smith1@att.net wrote:
>Sonny,
>
>Well, this should help explain things. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety
>Regulations ARE standardized....at the FEDERAL level... However, as they are
>adopted by each state, (so as to be enforceable
>at the state level) they are not
>necessarily adopted in total. For example, Texas kept their own driver's
>license requirements and did NOT adopt the FMCSR's driver's license portion
>(383) as Texas's CDL law was already in line
>with the federal regulations and we
>pinhead enforcement types don't handle
>complicated changes well (HA!). Frankly,
>this should come as no real surpise since many states have had different laws
>since there WERE laws and state legislatures HATE having the feds telling them
>how to run their shows.

I'll add that the FMCSR's are minimum
requirements that can be exceeded by state laws.
Failure to meet the Minimum requirements however
means that the state can kiss a bunch of federal
funding good-by.

>One thing that IS standardized is the method for
>inspecting commercial vehicles
>(the much hated and feared roadside safety inspection.) This is called the
>North American Standard Inspection and is
>performed on several levels, the most
>thorough of which is the Level 1 inspection.

Do you guys ever inspect non-commercial vehicles based on weight?

Also, do you avoid stopping those Bee Keeper
Trucks? The Fed DOT guy I spoke to said that's
one truck you stop once in your career, but never
again. He stopped his as a bright eyed bushy
tailed DOT inspector and was left on his own to
complete the inspection, the other inspectors
retreated inside. After it left and he was
scratching and itching various bee stings, the
others told him to never stop one again.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)