Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 21:53:08 PDT

Mike,

Well, again, I can't speak as to what is being done in your area but I can give you a real world example of the weird and wonderful world of GVWR.

"Take 3" is a brand of trailer that many hotshot haulers (those who run small loads with dually pickups) use to haul cars around. The trailer consists of one long ramp that extends up over the coupler. Take 3 routinely uses three 7100# axles so by your formula every one of their trailers should have a stated GVWR or determined GVWR of 21,300# -BUT- Take 3 rates some of their trailers at 21,000 GVWR (stated on the data plate) and some at 14,000 GVWR (also stated on the data plate) and it's the SAME trailer design! They can do that...they're the manufacturer and they can rate their trailers at whatever rating they want to. Believe me...I researched it! So, if I encounter a guy who was savvy enough to get himself a 14,000 GVWR and stay under the 26,0001 threshhold, I smile, wave goodbye, and say have a nice day.

Cool, huh?

TJ

From: Mike <michael@tsixroads.com>