Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 11:57:44 PDT

Jeff,

> So you don't whip out the portable scale and CHECK his actual weight to
> see if he is overloaded???

Well, you're confusing weight law with the circumstances of trying to determine if a CDL is required. Frankly, the portable scales are freakin' heavy and I'm very good at estimating weight, ...estimating ONLY for the purpose of determining if I need to go to the extra effort of weighing in order to make a good case. If the guy is obviously gonna be a "keeper" I'll make the effort.

> That is COOL!!!! Most cops I have seen in this situation are drooling to
> wright the overweight
> ticket since it is a big fine most of the time!!

I'm equipped to weigh but I look for the OHMIGOD overweights because it's HOT in Texas and the extra work just isn't worth the effort and the discomfort of being soaked down to my skivvies for the remainder of the day. As for fines, they are the business of the judicial branch of government and I'm in the executive branch. I couldn't care less about fines one way or the other.

> The thing here seems to be that Tim does not have the us against them
> attitude yet. Hope you can
> stay that way.

I've been in law enforcement for more than 24 years and I can't recall that I ever had that attitude but I'm one of the lucky ones. Key to doing my job is you have an open mind, and to like people in general, which I do. I even treat the peckerwoods with respect. Well, at least the amount of respect they are entitled to.

TJ