Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 12:27:28 PDT

Ryan,

> Granted, but the key thing as you say is the
> trailer. A Class C vehicle towing a 12,000 lb
> trailer needs a class A license. A Class B
> vehicle towing a 12,000lb trailer also needs a
> class A license. The key part is the trailer, not
> the sum of the GCWR.

You know better than I how things work in your neck of the woods. Using Texas law and the 26,001 GCVWR threshold, I could describe a number of combinations for you where (as you've described above) a class C vehicle pulling a 12,000 pounder would NOT require a Class A CDL. Are we comparing apples and oranges or apples and apples? In other words, do you want me to cover 383 for everyone?

> They say they changed State law to comply with
> 383. But, the classification of vehicles is
> written two different ways. It excludes
> Recreational Vehicles from the CMV definition,
> but fails to define what an RV is.

An RV is a vehicle specifically designed for overnight accomodations, including, but not limited to all the things you would find in a sleeper such as an adequate place for sleeping PLUS indoor plumbing, toilet, etc...in short, everything you'd find in a standard RV..

Then in
> another article, it excludes RV drivers from
> needing anything but a Class C, but it fails to
> call it an RV, it merely describes the vehicle in
> question (that it may be used for temporary
> accommodation while traveling). When you ask the
> DMVS people they say, "yeah, that it has a bed,
> toilet, etc....Like those big sleeper cabs?

Trucks with the big "executive sleepers" COULD qualify as an RV if they had the plumbing, toilet facilities. However, keep in mind that we are ONLY talking about who needs or doesn't need a CDL. We have not yet touched on who is subject to inspection (DOT equipment regs) because obviously certain "RV" type vehicles could be used for commercial purposes.

Frankly, I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about CDL's. They're pretty easy to get. Take a look around at some of the guys you see behind the wheels of some of these trucks. Some truck driver's aren't exactly what you'd call rocket scientists.

TJ