Re: [MV] MVPA - interesting reading on the G503 list

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 23:04:18 PDT

>From an Australian collector ( dgrev@iinet.net.au ) who for some reason
cannot post this himself:

(Begin Quoted Material)

> I would suggest that a lot of us support the MVPA even if we aren't
current
> members. Address some of those issues above, and I'd further suggest we
> will gladly become members once again.

Back when the proposed armour (US = Armor) ban first came about. I
challenged the MVPA (as an overseas member) to do something about it,
before, like all bad US ideas, it spread to the rest of the western
world. Luckily it was the Warbirds crowd that saw to it that idea
never got off first base, the MVPA did a "Cavalry to the rescue"
impersonation and only got active AFTER the Warbird crowd had done
all the hard work and pretty well had things under control.

When I challenged them the response was "they aren't going to ban jeeps
so we aren't worried" - well thanks for nothing! So, after a public
debate on this list with one or 2 of their heirachy I did not renew
my membership, it was made quite plain to me that my opinion didn't
count for 3 reasons.

1) I didn't own a jeep (ah, but yes I did, I just didn't tell them!)
2) I wasn't a US citizen (so even though I was a paid up member, I
was categorised as irrelevant).
3) I was an armour owner.

This, as far as I remember was shortly before they
got the knives out over a gent who was trying to get on the committee
and looked like upsetting their cosy little jeep club (don't recall
his name), any of you who have been on this list for years will recall
that saga. Then there was the Italian vote scandal and more dirty
washing and the MVPA lost one heck of a lot of credibility.

They need to prove that they ARE NOT JUST A WW2 JEEP CLUB IN DISGUISE,
before they can regain any credibility with armour owners! Or
probably for that matter, anyone who owns anything that isn't WW2 or
jeep (or both).

Or should we just ask the Italians to vote out the entire committee
and vote in a whole new crowd. Personally I would think it hilarious
if the committee meetings were scheduled for Naples and conducted in
Italian.... the MVPA would then really be an international organisation
rather than pretending to be one in order to get our money.

Regards
Doug
Armour owner and - FORMER - MVPA member.

(End Quoted Material)