Re: [MV] MVPA - interesting reading on the G503 list

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 09:21:47 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <m151@cox.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] MVPA - interesting reading on the G503 list

> Our club, the Mid-Kansas MVPA, is greated with great enthusiasm by the
public. Especially the armed vehicles.

Oh yeah! You should see the reaction this fellow's M16 (less quad .50)
Halftrack got motoring through downtown Vancouver in convoy last Sunday as
we made our way to the old Coastal Defences in Stanley Park. It had brand
new tracks on it and just sort of smoothly roared down the road like some
hungry jungle cat on the prowl for a meal. It's rare we get armour out to
in-city events because all the collectors of it are 40 miles from town, and
it certainly did go some distance in illustrating to all and sundry that the
MVPA and Western Command Chapter MVPA are certainly not just "WWII Jeep
Clubs" by a long chalk (though we had a number of excellent examples of
those come out for the event as well which were likewise awe-inspiring to
passers-by.)

Have to hand it to the armoured guys. Spending $225 bucks on an NOS M151A2
carburettor just pales in significance when held up against the $3800-odd
bucks a side for halftrack tracks, not to mention the cost in getting the
machines out to events 40 miles from one's garage. I think it would be hard
to stay married. :)

(There was one lady with one of those microdogs in the park who decided she
simply had to cross the parkway in the middle of this 14-vehicle convoy, and
rather than look at the parade of history passing right in front of her
nose, she sort of impatiently stamped her foot and kept looking at her
watch. Guess little Fru Fru had a 10 o'clock with the doggy psychotherapist
or something, because she sure looked...'inconvenienced'. I was tail-end
charlie in my woofy-looking M1009, so I got to see quite a bit of the
reaction of passers-by and hopeful crosswalk users as the convoy snaked by.)