Re: [MV] Chalky CARC

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 12:53:06 PDT

Mark,

I don't really know how to get rid of it other than perhaps by
abrasively removing the outer damaged layer to reveal unaffected
paint but when you finally go to repaint, use MIL-DTL-64159 type II
waterborne CARC for UV resistance, flexibility, and mar resistance.
The older generation CARC topcoats such as MIL-C-46168 and MIL-
C-53039 were based upon silaceous extenders and thus eventually
become chalky as a result of UV damage.

Bottom line, if your MV sees any significant sunlight and is
topcoated with MIL-C-46168 or MIL-C-53039, it WILL become chalky.

For complete info see:

http://www.arl.army.mil/wmrd/coatings/

and

http://www.arl.army.mil/wmrd/coatings/WaterCARC/watercarc.html

I have some 383 green MIL-DTL-64159 type II on the new hood on my
M1008 and it looks great.

Eventually I plan on doing my entire truck but I still need to secure
a few more pristine body parts such as a good bed before I dive in 100%.

plaz

1985 M1008