Re: [MV] Fw: [MV] Rockwell differentials - brake line pressures

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 15:24:59 PDT

The big thing is that, as Bjorn pointed out, disk brakes are a lot more
linear than drum brakes. And that means that as you pointed out, you
can have better brake control and hopefully avoid lockup situations (and
loss of control). Maximum braking forces are actually created just
before lockup. Once tire traction is lost the brakes are not "working"
( they are locked ) and all "braking" action via friction is actually
being generated between the tire surface and the road. And that can be
very unpredictable and uncontrollable. Steering basically doesn't work
once the wheels are locked.

Dave