Re: [MV] Political Correctness Amuck

From: Douglas Thom (douglas.thom@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 15:02:49 PDT

Hey, all,

One of the Discovery channels had a really interesting episode on
this. Though it's easy to poke fun like below, based on that episode
we are missing the point.

Take into account other "socially-askew" people/groups such as those
involved in Columbine, Timothy McVeigh, Jeffrey Dalmer, KKK, the IRA,
many "activist" groups, etc. The ones I just listed are actually
unlikely to have the rampant 'choice D' noted below in their
membership. But these all have something in common. They are people or
groups that desire recognition and respect yet have trouble
understanding how to obtain it in a world society. And this world
society is VERY different from their former VERY LOCAL societies.

Also, keep in mind that these people/groups are isolated. They may
contain a demographic profile but do not represent it. For example,
given the rather extreme outbursts of the people/groups above does
this suggest we shouldn't allow any white males on our airplanes? We
know our own culture so we think this type of profiling is absurd. But
guess what? Folks in middle east countries also profile us based on
the acts of an extremely small contingent of the population.
Similarly, almost any "Muslim male ... between the ages of 17 and 40"
would find the acts of the activist groups originating in their
countries to be ridiculous but they would feel they are no more
related to those groups than we would relate ourselves to Jeffrey
Dalmer.

So, yes, I would certainly agree with statistical profiling as
forensic psychologists in many policing organizations have pretty much
hit the nail on the head using it. But REAL profiling. Whether or not
they ride a camel has a very low statistical significance factor as a
categorical variable. For example, did you note that all of these
people tend be significantly to devoutly religious?

Here are some links:

http://terrorismexperts.org/terrorist_profile.ppt
the number of groups is staggering! and they are from all over the
world)

Anyway, interesting topic for those curious about the
socio-psychological point of view.

Ok, I'm finished. Let me have it! :-)

-me