Re: [MV] Diesel fuel prices? $2.71 here near Seattle

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:16:24 PDT

>Can a diesel run on natural gas? (thinking about my generator)
>
>I`m afraid not !!!!!!!!

Afraid so, it is very common to run large diesels on NG, and as I recall you
can order engines such as a Cummins 6BT set for NG from the factory. Your
right on one account, to inject NG is something perhaps not possible or
practical, but these engines ingest the NG with the air flow. They still
have the conventional diesel system on them and they still use a small
amount of diesel, the diesel injection then becomes the spark plug if you
want to look at it that way. At least with NG your not going to compression
ignite it in any normal engine, not sure about propane but obviously at some
point as the fuel gets heavier it cannot be ingested as it would ignite
itself before you want it to. As I recall there is a carb looking device
that meters in the NG, this becomes the new throttle when using the NG, not
the throttle on the diesel injection pump. At least that is how I recall
seeing it done. We had three large engine makers around here, Allis
Chalmers, Nordberg, and Waukesha, all made NG diesels as I was told by
various people that worked at these places, Waukesha is still going, but of
course it's all huge stuff.

later,

je