Re: [MV] MREs

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 09:57:23 PDT

Called T-Rations or Tray Packs....

"T-Rations consist of semi-perishable foods that include a variety of fully
cooked tray pack entrees, vegetables, desserts and starches. The tray pack
container serves as a packing, heating and serving container. There are 10
breakfast and 10 lunch/dinner menus. The T-Ration Module contains everything
needed to support the soldier, including the single service eating ware.
Milk and bread are required to make the meal nutritionally adequate. The
T-Ration may be further enhanced with dry cereal, fresh fruits, salad
material and some condiments. The highly acceptable lunch/dinner menus
include such entrees as chicken breast with gravy, hamburgers and turkey
slices with gravy. Breakfast entrees include a variety of egg omelets, ham,
pork sausage links and creamed ground beef. Research continues to produce
improved breakfast components for the Breakfast T-Ration menus such as
sausage patty with biscuit and chipped beef. The T-Ration Module is now
being unitized 18 meals per module rather than 36 meals to the module.
Additionally, the modules still are unitized 12 modules to a pallet, but
because the module is 18 meals versus 36 there are now only 216 meals per
pallet. This initiative is expected to reduce waste, prevent repetition in
menus and make handling the module easier. More than 20 million T-Ration
meals were shipped to support Operation Desert Shield/Storm, which made up
about 11 percent of all rations shipped to the theater. About 98,000
T-Rations were served daily, which made up approximately 7 percent of the
daily rations consumed. The beauty of the T-Ration continues to be
simplicity, compact packaging and the minimum requirement for personnel and
equipment to prepare the ration."

Ronzo