Re: [MV] WWII DC3

From: dgrev (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 20:11:38 PDT

Jeff

> The planes I rent have all the latest GPS, weather nav
> garbage, personally I have no use for it. I like to
> follow the landscape, roads, terrain, turn on the NDB
> maybe, even try to avoid using VOR's but in a pinch I
> will, Kinda scary flying commercial these days knowing
> some young buck up there has his training from playing
> nintendo!!

I take it that in the US you have the same abreviations
as we do (our system is based on yours) so when all else
fails it's back to the basics:

VFR = Visually Follow Roads.

IFR = I Follow Roads.

It certainly does make you wonder how the world will
survive if there is ever an EMP pulse.
Bang will go all the ground based nav aids. I have no idea if the
satellites are hardened?

The way things are these days, even your fridge and stove have
electronics and will be fried!
Same with Solargisers too.

Of late, there appears to be a lot of ancillary military
equipment (ie, base vehicles, computers etc) that are
civilian spec. They won't be much good either.

> Kinda scary flying commercial these days knowing
> some young buck up there has his training from playing
> nintendo!!

There has been some stuff on TV of late that the Europeans
have noticed that the Nintendo generation make for lousy
drivers, not better ones. You don't get 3 lives in the real
world. Thus they are having to start driver training in schools
with lots of crash pics to get it through to the kids that cars
are not "virtual" devices and do obey neutonian laws of motion.
Not that anyone is taught history anymore........

Regards
Doug