bad gas

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 11:51:57 PDT

The discussion about tar in gas tank brings this to mind...

some 25 years ago company I worked for got 2000 gallons regular gasoline and
mixed in with it methanol alchool 10% by volume. This was done because we
could purchase methanol for about half the price of gasoline. Following
problemes surfaced::: diaphram in fuel pump on a Ford truck came apart in
just a couple of days, replacement only lasted 3 days before it rotted away.
Another Ford lost fuel lines, and two Chevys had the worst problems, a
substance gathered in fuel filters that looked like tar, had to take fuel
tanks off and there was about a quart of a substance that looked and felt
like fine ground coal, and small tar balls. This ended the 90 / 10
experiment with methanol.

We also purchased industrial isopropyl alchool to put in tractor tires for
the weight. Boss did a 1000 gallon tank with 10 % this type alcnool and it
did not give any problems in his wife's car that had missed the methanol
treatment.

Everette