Re: [MV] bad gas

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 11:57:52 PDT

At 1:51 PM -0500 9/29/05, Everette wrote:
>The discussion about tar in gas tank brings this to mind...
>
>some 25 years ago company I worked for got 2000 gallons regular gasoline and
>mixed in with it methanol alchool 10% by volume. This was done because we
>could purchase methanol for about half the price of gasoline. Following
>problemes surfaced::: diaphram in fuel pump on a Ford truck came apart in

Sounds like your boss paid for an expensive example of how methanol likes to eat natural rubber. This has always been one of my worries with old vehicles and some of the oxygenated fuels that are mandated. The method of oxygenation can impact the type of rubber in the vehicle. New vehicles are fine, its our old vintage autos and bikes that have the natural rubber parts.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -