Re: More Generator Talk

From: Dev Null (devnull2@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 13:30:23 PDT

Mark:

I have one. Mine was made by Onan. They are air cooled so you should make
sure to have all the cooling shrouds. Also they are a tad LOUD when they run.

Mine has 90 hours on the Hobbs meter.

Check out http://www.groban.com/generatorsetDsl1d.html. They have entire
gensets and may have spare parts too.

I bought mine last summer from a guy who had all the manuals and some spare
parts. He was an old railroad guy who used the civilian version of these
on the railroad. He said they would drop them off at some desolate
transmitter sites with two 55 gal drums of diesel fuel and come back a week
later with more fuel. Otherwise they ran unattended 24/7. He says they
are rugged and reliable. Of course he was trying to sell me his.

I can tell you what the manuals are and I may be able to look up some info
for you. For $50 to $100, I think you can buy reproductions on the net.

You can also buy a sound suppression cover for the generator which reduces
the noise somewhat.

harry