starter problem update

From: Todd Goranson (todd.goranson@netcracker.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 12:44:09 PDT

I had to make a choice on what to do. The relay is hard to find, the
starter would take two weeks to get rebuilt and meanwhile my truck is
stuck at work.

I called Houston over at Parramore and he had the starter with solenoid
(24 volt, new version from GM with gear drive) and relays in stock, and
the shims to put the new starter in. His cost, 225+25+5+ shipping.
Option two, looked on the internet on how to covert over to a 12 volt
system (thinking cheaper parts being 12 volt). Not much to do it, a
little cheaper, and parts are available. Draw back in my eyes, I've
lost the "original" feeling of the vehicle and now its "modified".

Being my truck is currently 100% as I removed it from Ft Drum, I'm proud
of it being a CUCV and original. I've bitten the bullet and had all
the parts sent over-night to my residence from Parramore in FL. My
logic? Replace everything right now, put the two brand new batteries in
it that I have at home, and not be stranded (knock on wood for me)
during the winter here in MA. So I'm replacing the starter, solenoid,
relay, 2 batteries and the 24 volt fuse on the lower part of the fuse
box. Starting system, should be good as new! :-)

Thank you to everybody (about 27 responses from subject matter experts)
on the list for helping me. I'll let you know Saturday, after I come
back to work to get my truck running, how things went. Thanks again,
for the advice, pictures, information and resources in such a timely
manner.

Be well.

Todd Goranson
Engineering

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.