Re: starter problem update

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 16:21:20 PDT

Quoting Todd Goranson <todd.goranson@netcracker.com>:

> I had to make a choice on what to do. The relay is hard to find, the
> starter would take two weeks to get rebuilt and meanwhile my truck is
> stuck at work.

Sorry it is too late to help, but I would rule out the relay under the
dash before I did all of that work. Two or three small bolts, and it
should fall right out from under the dash. You should be able to test
it with a volt meter after you unplug it.

It sounds like you may have toasted the starter in any case.

Anybody keeping count on how many times this has happened to someone on
the list? I can think of at least 3 times. How common is it for the
starter solenoid itself to fail as Stu recommended? If all GM civi
truck starters failed at the rate our CUCVs did it would be a
multimillion dollar industry repairing them.

I have had two of the relays to get wet and fail open. Both were in
trucks that came from DRMO with no windshields. Both worked a few
times but failed rather quickly. I haven't had one to fail closed yet.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi