Re: REPLIES TO THE LIST WAS Re: M1009 starter problem update

From: Michael Howell (doctormv@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 15:58:37 PDT

Quoting Ron <rojoha@adelphia.net>:

> Todd says he got about 27 replies to his request for help.
> Looking back over the last 9 months of posts there appears to be
> 49
> M1009 owners active on the list. I didn't count the M1008, M1010 and
> M1028
> owners/posts, but there are a bunch. Unknown is the number of lurker
> owners.
> Maybe if you folks posted your answers to the list AND the person
> with
> the problem, you would be helping the others on the list. You know,
> like at
> noon time, 50 miles from the nearest computer. Where when the
> 'strange'
> thing occurs and you'd think "hey, wait a minute! I read about this
> problem
> and it's solution on the list a couple of weeks ago..." and we'd be
> on our
> way.
>
> Lots of ON TOPIC posts keep the list healthy, people interested,
> and
> keep people from wandering off to other lists.
> Might even keep the number of posts about DC-3s, Cooking oil and
> the
> Spanish American war/Alternate History posts down because people
> would feel
> there are too many MILITARY VEHICLE posts on the list and would take
> the
> decidedly off topic posts to the appropriate venue.
>
> Don't be apathetic about the types of posts made to the
> list....work to
> help keep the list on topic. Bitch and be proud you're part of the
> solution,
> not the problem.
>
> Rantingly yours,
> Ronzo

I would like to second this. This is a problem that seems to come up
from time to time on this list. If we don't watch it, the list becomes
just a lot of questions and off topic discussion. Of course if the
question is off topic then it might be best to answer it off of the
list but, then again, I could live with even seeing those answers as
well.

Also, posting your answers to the list will hold them up to peer review.
 We have seen some well meaning answers that were in fact unsafe or just
plan wrong. Other answers have stirred up interesting on topic
discussions.

Mike
Tishomingo, Mississippi