Re: GM military pick-up truck

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 15:19:06 PDT

> Darrell says:
> I saw a GM military pick-up truck with troop seats in the back. (See
> picture on links)
>
> http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/gm_combatt.asp
> http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/112_news011003_army/index1.html
>
> It was on a truck car carrier on I-5 near Sacramento and was painted in
> OD. I know GM was trying to sell them a Hybird version of the truck a
> while back but heard nothing more of it. Has the Army made a decision on
> these yet? Just curious.

     GM is still very much in the CUCV business through their gov't sales
division. They are in their third generation of these style trucks. (CUCV
III) GM takes white P/U's with gray vinyl interiors and converts them to
mil specs. They are not built "ground up" as a mil unit like the earlier
predecessors did. Canada has been using these in small quantities (100+)
and they love'em. GM has a military sales website that touts all of the
variants. GM is always courting the military 24/7 of all their products and
I wasn't aware that the Army was making a "decision" for more. The military
sales rep (4 of them up in Detroit) said he isn't aware of that "decision"
either other than they sell small quantities constantly to military groups
and always try to sell more. GSA buys them as they need them for special
tactical operations. Hummers seem to make up the mainstay of the vehicle
fleet. Julian Burke