RE: Diesel & cooking oil

From: Rikk Rogers (Rkltd@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 07:59:34 PDT

Good info, thanks Darrell..

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Darrell Ramsell
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:44 AM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: Re: [MV] Diesel & cooking oil

Hi All

I mentioned a while back that I put a mixture of 60% deisel and 40% used
cooking oil in a jar. Initially I warmed up the jar to 90' so all of the
liquid was clear. After a day about 15% of the oil solidified. Two days
later I shook the bottle up to simulate sloshing from driving. The next day
about 30% of the oil had solidified but the following day in was back to
15%. It has been nearly 3 weeks now and about 15~20% of the oil has
remained solitified. The temperature during that time has varied from
87~48'.

By the way, I want to clarify what I mean be "solitified". The solidified
part of oil are very small particle almost powder like. After sitting for
about a week it become almost like a very fine and smoothe cake batter.
After sitting nearly 3 weeks I mixed it up again. It became like a very
fine mist and looked like unfiltered beer.

Currently I am running a mixture of 25% used cooking oil in my HMMWV. In
the 4 weeks I have been doing this my engine seems to run much better and
quieter. I also seem to have a bit more power too. At this point I have
experienced no negative effect. If anything changes I'll let you know.

Darrell