Re: why did we adopt these?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 13:05:41 PDT

At 3:59 PM -0400 10/13/05, Mike Davidsen wrote:
>When did the military adopt a 1987 MAN wrecker? Aren't the MAN trucks Britain's flavor of large military trucks? I thought by 1987 we had adopted the HEMTT and PLS series of 8x8 trucks, but here's a MAN wrecker that is listed on GL right now:

MAN is German. Probably as an interim vehicle for use in Germany on the Autobahn until the HEMTTs could be purchased in the requisite numbers. The Cab over design allows more space than the conventional wreckers have. Could have been that the Germans didn't like the HEMTTs running back and forth on the autobahn too. Stranger things have happened.

I don't know for a fact, but I think MAN was making these Second Generation trucks in the 70s when the Oshkosh trucks were still an idea. I haven't heard anything bad about them.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -