Re: Is it armour or armor - New Orleans?

From: dgrev (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 01:22:30 PDT

Jacques & Mithril

> Ah, the French again...armour armor armoire...lol Well, how about this
> version "armure" (as in chevalier) this refers to a knights armour.

Looks like the English is close enough.

> Of course you might know the only city in America to be build below sea
> level was sold to us by the French before we discovered you couldn't even
> dig a cemetary there? New Orleans, what a swamp..wish they would buy it
> back, but fat chance now that we wrecked it!

They are probably still chuckling about that. Likewise the decendants of
those who bought Manhatten Island off the indians for a handfull of
beads. Seems land rorting was a favourite passtime in the early days.

> The Colonies got off to a good start with English, then we started
> amalgamating different languages and who knows what we call our language
> now, it's a bit of olde English and 100 other things I suspect. In my area
> we speak some Thai, H'mong, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Portuguese and of

H'mong! Would that be ex-Vietnam hill tribesmen with a Gurka like
reputation?

> It gets worse, the Spanish we
> speak in California is a lot different than the Spanish they speak in Spain,
> or even the Spanish they speak in Mexico! Funny country, eh?

Sounds like a similar situation to French Canada.

> Did you know we never resolved what our national language should be, even to
> this day? In the begining (1776) we drafted the Constitution in German and
> English because there were so many German speaking citizens, and way back
> then there was some debate which language should be used as our principal
> language! lol

Most interesting.

Regards
Doug