Re: Is it armour or armor? Is is color or colour?

From: dgrev (dgrev@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 01:15:33 PDT

Glen

> What about color and colour? The French sneaking in again? :)

Definetly.

> You're right about the dates making no sense day/month/year vs.
> month/day/year.
>
> But then again, our standard of measurement, the foot, is based on some dead
> king's actual foot. I think it was a British king at that. Oh, well,
> moving right along...

Very true. The only imperial measurement I am aware of that had its
basis in the real world is the nautical mile (which is a specific
fraction of the earth's circumference at the equator). Evidently metric
does just not compute for manual navigation (doubtless computers would
not have much of a problem).

Which is why they have tried to force us to use metric for height and
separation, but not for distance.

Regards
Doug