Re: FW: Protecting Yourself from Counterfit Checks

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 18:30:41 PST

Hi John,

> Going back to the original question, IF the money is sent via WU AND
> you go to
> WU and get cash in hand, where is the risk to the recipient of the
> money? How
> can the payment be undone? I'm not doubting it's a scam, but would
> just like to
> know how it works.

That's my point. I automatically assumed it to be a scam, but then
scratched my head trying to figure out how it would work. So far my
only theory is this... so see if you guys like it:

Guy contacts eBay seller and is up front with the eventual shipping
location. Knowing that it is highly likely it will set off warning
bells, he offers to pay using a system that is basically fraud proof.
Seller agrees, Nigerian eventually wins the bidding and seller contacts
him for payment. Now, one of two things happen. Either the Nigerian
does a last minute song and dance routine about how he suddenly can not
access WU services and hows about a check, very please thank you! Or,
the clever Nigerians have a faked BidPay system all ready to go.

For those who have used BidPay, the money is not electronically
transfered. Instead the buyer gets a notice from WU that money is on
its way. Buyer gets a check in the mail (very quickly I might add),
and then all is well. The Nigerians could send a fake email and
website link, bluffing the buyer into thinking the check is "in the

mail". Trusting in the name of WU and its service, buyer sends item
prematurely and the check never shows up. Or, Nigerians send a fake
check that looks identical to the real thing. Buyer sends item without
waiting for the check to actually clear. The former method is likely
to catch some, the latter (more involved) method is likely to catch a
whole lot of people just like all the other check scams do.

Dang, I am almost curious enough to let the guy win and see what he
comes up with :-) I'd do that but this is a relisting because the guy
who won it before (a Spaniard) failed to pay me. Ebay zapped his
account and refunded me my listing fees, but I'd rather have had the
money. So I guess I'll just tell the guy that I don't ship to Nigeria
and wonder what the angle is until someone gets suckered in.

Steve