Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: inverted "easy out".......

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 07:55:25 PST

That's good advice. I have never had much luck with easy outs either.

I once had to drill out an exhaust manifold bolt from a Chevy 454 engine
without removing the head from the engine. It was just below the
surface. That was a tough one. The bolt was very hard and I ended up
buying a special TIN drill bit (not very popular at the time) meant for
CNC machining. Even that bit had to be resharpened a couple of times
before I could get the drill through the broken off stub. Once I got
the bit through I was able to pickout the remaining threads with an awl
and a tap. The entire process took several hours.

Some shops have EDM machines that can eat out broken bolts and studs
without damaging the surrounding material. It tends to be expensive,
but if you have a bolt broken off in an aluminum casting that costs a
small fortune it can be well worth it.

If a bolt is broken off just above or below the surface and is not stuck
hard, you can sometimes use a 3" abrasive wheel cutter with a thin wheel
and slot the broken off stud and use a big screw driver to back the stud
out. If you can weld a nut on the broken stud and then heat the
surrounding material which expands and try not to heat the stud, that is
the best situation. But if the stud gets too hot it will simply twist
off when you apply torque, so you have to use the heat very carefully to
minimize the heat on the stud iself. Cooling the stud with water while
heating the surrounding area is sometimes a good idea also.

To get bolts and nuts loose that are stuck, careful use of a cutting
torch torch to heat the assembly is hard to beat. Of course iron
castings can crack and or warp from the excessive use of heat.

Dave