Re: DOT *sigh*

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 20:17:58 PST

Ryan Gill wrote:
> Timothy, in my speaking to the FMCSA folks both in the Atlanta Office
> and in the DC headquarters it's pretty clear that a lot of state
> agencies only make a differentiation based on weight and not on use of
> the vehicle.

California is one of those states. Class A or B commercial licenses are
required for vehicles which are classified as class A or class B
vehicles, respectively, under California law, whether the vehicles are
used for commercial purposes or not. CA also has a wider definition of
class B vehicles than federal regs do. For example, a 2.5-ton 6x6 would
require a class B CDL here.

Ironically, based on a lot of horror stories that have been hashed out
on the list, it seems that it's easier to get a lot of MVs registered
here in the People's Republic of California than in several other states.

Much like with gun laws, states make their own laws which may be more
strict than federal laws, and us poor schmoes need to tip-toe through a
minefield of often conflicting rules.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/