Re: CDL

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 11:03:03 PST

Recovry4x4@aol.com wrote:
> Now here's the $1,000,000.00
> question, how many folks here have actually been stopped in their MV and why?

I have not been stopped in any of my MVs, but I also haven't put too
many miles on my deuces, and haven't taken them on trips that pass any
weigh stations. Most of my MV road miles have been in my HMMWV. My
deuces have CA Historical Vehicle plates, which exempts them from
needing to stop at weigh stations here. I haven't personally experienced
what would happen if I blew by a weigh station in one of them, but I
figure that any CHP officer who saw that would most likely assume I'm
active military and ignore me anyway.

Once I used one of my deuces to retrieve a 1.5-ton generator trailer
from the DRMO yard. The civilian gate guard just opened the gate and
waved me through, rather than the usual check id, sign in, wait for GL
personnel, etc. rigamarole that I would experience if I showed up in a
civvy vehicle. I happened to be wearing green BDU pants, too, and nobody
questioned my walking around the yard and looking at trucks. I wasn't
intentionally trying to impersonate military personnel (I was in the
habit of wearing BDU pants at the time, even to work), but everybody
clearly assumed that I was military, anyway. I don't think the guard
checked my paperwork on the way out, either. If I was the dishonest
type, I probably could have towed just about anything out of that yard.

On a later trip, the gate guard was a rather rotund guy who looked like
he was getting winded just sitting still, and was wearing a gun belt
with an empty revolver holster. Yes, an empty holster. I really had a
hard time keeping a straight face while signing in.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/