AAR/OT/ long / Delete now if the smell of blood makes you woosey.

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 15:12:27 PST

MV List:

This email was received by me today, Monday, 19 DEC 2005, from a friend who
is a weapons instructor at Ft. Meade. He and I have been discussing the pros
and cons of the Glock, and 9mm pistols ans ammop in general, since it is the
only weapon I'm allowed to carry as a service weapon in my part-time job.

Enjoy... A P Bloom

COM = Center Of Mass
CNS= Central Nervous System
BG= Bad Guy
GG= Good Guy

(He writes)

Interesting after-action report:
(In light of our recent discussion about the Glock 9mm & +P rounds.)

A very interesting after-action report has come to my attention.
This incident took place yesterday (17 DEC 2005) in an African country that
shall
be un-named, for reasons that will become obvious. The protagonists
were three people whom I know, along with a fourth
who's a friend of theirs. The three I know have extensive military and
civilian experience with firearms, and also studied Col. Cooper's techniques
with me in a sort of "home-school" environment back in that African
country during the 1980's. The four of them had an encounter with a street
gang in a car-jacking attempt.

Briefly, the gang of car-jackers used two vehicles on a major
freeway, obviously looking for a suitable vehicle for their attentions. My
 friends were in a high-end Mercedes-Benz, travelling at speeds of up
to 80 mph. When the gang spotted them, they trailed them on the
freeway with both of their vehicles. After a short interval, they were
spotted by the (always attentive) driver, and my friends went to Orange.

They decided to take the next off-ramp, leading to a fairly deserted
 industrial area (this being Saturday, there was little traffic in
that area), and see what transpired. As soon as they moved over to the
turnoff lane, one of the gang
vehicles abruptly accelerated ahead of them and slipped into the same lane,
while the other moved into the lane behind them. There was obviously good
 co-ordination and some decent training involved in the way the
vehicles worked together. As they exited the freeway, about halfway down
the
 off-ramp, the vehicle in front of them slammed on its brakes and
turned sideways, across the off-ramp, blocking further progress. The
vehicle behind them then struck their rear bumper with some force, knocking
 their vehicle into the front (blocking) car, obviously in an attempt
to disorient them. My buddies, of course, were armed and ready. They exited
the car,
with the two front seat occupants concentrating on the vehicle in front
of them, while the two rear seat occupants took on the vehicle behind
them. Three people were in the front vehicle, one armed with an AK
derivative (full-auto), one with a shotgun, and one with a handgun.
Two people were in the vehicle behind them, one with an Uzi and one with
a handgun.

 For ease of description, I'll concentrate on each "target" vehicle
in turn, beginning with that in front. The Bad Guy with the AK opened
fire, full-auto, but hit only the car, and was taken under fire by the
 passenger-seat occupant, using a Glock 19. He hit him eleven times,
by actual count, with 9mm. +P hollowpoints (Speer Gold Dot) without
dropping him. The BG eventually went down on the 12th shot, which
took him on the bridge of the nose and shut down his CNS right there.
The other two, with shotgun and handgun, were engaged by the driver,
using a .357 Magnum revolver (a S&W K-frame of unknown model). He
double-tapped each one to COM with his carry load, the 145gr. Winchester
Silvertip
 JHP. The BG with the handgun went down instantly, but the BG with
the shotgun was still on his feet, although obviously badly hurt and
unable to wield the shotgun effectively. He received a further round to
the head, which resolved matters satisfactorily.

The two BG's in the rear car were engaged by the rear-seat
passengers. One was using a CZ-75 with Winchester Silvertip JHP's. He put
 half-a-dozen rounds COM into his target, without visible results -
the BG returned fire with his Uzi, tagging my friend in the left arm
with the first burst. While this was going on, the other rear-seat
passenger engaged the handgun-wielding BG with his SIG P220, using 185gr.
Remington Golden Saber Bonded JHP's. Two rounds of this COM dropped
 that BG immediately. He then switched his target to the
Uzi-wielding BG, putting two rounds into his chest from the left side, and
dropping him as he tried to get off another burst at the other passenger.
The final round actually went into his lower neck area, as he was
already dropping from the first round to the chest.

The end result was four BG's DOA and one dying (the guy who took
two .357's to the chest - he was obviously in the last extremity), with
one GG wounded in the left arm by a burst of 9mm. FMJ from the Uzi. My
 buddies did a quick but comprehensive scan of the scene, including
an examination of their targeting, and searching the BG's. The hits
were mostly good, solid shots, COM to heart and lungs, and to the head
where necessary. The guy with the AK also showed several hits to both
 forearms, which were obviously blocking the "direct" path to his
chest, and absorbed some of the 9mm. hits meant for COM. Interestingly,
these forearm hits did not make him drop the AK, nor did they stop him
from operating it, despite a broken left forearm! His adrenaline must
have been well and truly pumping... Both BG's hit with the 9mm.'s would
certainly have died, but were not put down immediately, and both
were able to continue shooting at the GG's despite their COM injuries.
The .357 and the .45 obviously had much greater effect on their targets,
 although one of the BG's hit with the .357 required a head shot to
 finish him off. However, it was noted that after the two COM shots,
he wasn't shooting any more, and although still holding his weapon, was
clearly on the point of going down, and would probably have done so
 without the final head shot to ensure things.

What was extremely interesting is that four of the five BG's were
carrying police identification! - one of them at a fairly senior
rank. This decided my friends to exit the scene immediately, without
summoning or waiting for law enforcement assistance. They exited the area
using back roads, and were able to get to the home of one of them without
further incident, where their vehicle was immediately garaged to
prevent anyone noticing anything untoward. They took their injured comrade
to a doctor friend of theirs for attention, and by the application of a
 little folding currency were able to get him good medical care
without any records being kept. He's apparently going to be fine, although
his arm will be in a cast for a few weeks. Their car was, of course,
 damaged by the collision, and had a couple of bullet holes in it,
but I understand that things can be put right without any unnecessary
paperwork being filed (again, the judicious application of a little
 folding currency has a wonderfully silencing effect).

This incident took place yesterday, (Saturday, 17 DEC 2005) and the friend
who called me
this morning indicated that no report of this shooting has been printed
in any of the Sunday newspapers, despite this occuring in a major city,
 where reporters could be expected to get wind of things very
quickly. He further reports that the intersection where this took place
looks
 completely normal this morning, with both BG vehicles removed, no
trace of blood, etc. on the street, and no evidence of crime scene
 investigation. He informed me that "a little bird told them" that
both vehicles were taken to the rear of a local police station, where
they're now sitting, with no forensics investigation marks (e.g. fingerprint
powder, etc.) visible on them. Apparently there is no official
report in that police station's logbook of the vehicles being brought in,
or of the bodies that must have been recovered. (He has sufficient
reliable - and discreet - LE contacts to be able to get this information.)

The upshot is, as he suggests, that it behooves visitors to this
 nameless Southern African nation to be on their guard against not
just crooks, but also against crooks in the police force. The deafening
 silence concerning this incident suggests to him (and to me) that
there is a high-level cover-up going on. Draw your own conclusions...

I asked a lot of questions while talking to my friend, as I was
 interested in gun and ammo performance. I'm told that my friends
who relied on their Wondernines are now cursing fluently, and trying to
work out how to upgrade to a heavier caliber (difficult in the light of
this country's fairly Draconian laws concerning civilian ownership of
 firearms). The two who used the .45 and .357 are very satisfied
with the performance of their chosen weapons and loads.

Thought you might be interested. This certainly reinforces my
long-standing distrust of the 9mm. as a "stopping" caliber. I'll
use it for training (cheap ammo), and in a backup gun (as I will also for
.38 Special), but I won't trust it as a primary defensive caliber.

God bless.