Re: Excess Stuff

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 07:51:14 PST

At 10:09 AM -0500 12/29/05, Ron wrote:
>Hi Sonny...
>
> And there is no way in hell the items you are
>selling ever spent time on a trailer behind your
>RV or IN your RV, right? Not under a seat or in
>the bathroom or even in the middle of the floor.
>Nothing ever gets bought at a meet you attended
>with the RV Toter, correct?
>
> From your post of 24 DEC 05 Titled "Truck
>Turned Recreation Vehicle" you stated " I'm
>strictly a collector of motorscooters,
>motorcycles, old farm tractors, and military
>vehicles among other things too numerous to go
>in to. I do not sell anything at the shows I
>attend, I only exibit for free. I do not ask
>for nor would I accept donations just to make
>myself clear on that."
>
> But you don't state that you never BUY stuff
>at meets that you resell from home. Which you
>wouldn't do, because that WOULD BE commerce,
>wouldn't it?

If the bloody ATF doesn't mind C&R-FFLs buying
and selling the odd rifle (as long as they're not
trying to make a business of it) then occasional
purchases and sales if reported as normal income
aren't business.

Or are you positing that the first time a very
conventional Grandpa & Grandma Itasca Motorhome
owner sells something at an RV park he's for ever
considered Commercial?

> Again, you state " I'm strictly a collector
>of motorscooters, motorcycles, old farm
>tractors, and military vehicles among other
>things..." ONE used HMMWV hood for sale
>indicates a collector getting rid of excess junk
>collected in the pursuit of the hobby. 6 used
>HMMWV hoods, HMMWV Transfer Case take outs
>Several, Silicone Brake Fluid 12 ea. $25.00 ea
>gal. for sale indicate a .... what?

We all go through GL sales. the nature of the
Collecting business means we'll get a batch of
crap we don't need in order to get one out of the
whole lot. What are we supposed to do, throw it
away?

> I'm just a little cranky about the
>protestations of the folks in the hobby who
>claim they NEVER try to make back a modicum of
>money off of the junk we buy and sell. If you
>just BUY, you're a collector. If you
>occasionally sell something you bought because
>you no longer have a use for it, you're human.
>If you buy and sell stuff to make a profit and
>claim to the whole world you don't, that would
>make you a four letter word that rhymes with
>buyer!

Again, C&R-FFLs can sell their arms. They just
can't start a business. If the ATF who's woefully
problematic for the people they regulate, then I
suspect Sonny's probably just fine.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)