Re: OT: Air compressor Question

From: Ken Boge (ken@clovermachine.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 08:51:25 PST

Mark,

This is probably part of the continuous run system. With an electric motor
operated compressor there is a pressure switch that will stop the motor when
the tank pressure reaches a certain level and turn the motor on again when
it falls below a set amount. A gasoline engine operated compressor normally
runs continuously so there needs to be a mechanism for unloading the
compressor to prevent it from over pressurizing the tank. The system uses
compressed air from the tank to operate unloading valves at the top of each
cylinder. When the valves open it sounds like the compressor is idling and
when they close it will sound like it is under load again. There should be
a pressure valve connected to the tank with tubes going to the top of each
cylinder.
If the tubing is not connected there may be a part missing. Do a Google
search and you might find an operating manual and/or parts manual for your
compressor. Don't operate your compressor without a functioning safety
valve!!

Good luck,
Ken
San Jose, California, USA