Couple of five ton Qs

From: Blaine (bhadden@starband.net)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 07:05:27 PST

Our local fire department has a 5 ton (~1974) converted to a water
tender. My substation has inherited it. Can see a front view at
http://www.sulphurcanyon.com/lcvfd/Stock.htm
Q1: Can I use regular power steering fluid in it?. We are also told
that the front axle is engaged all the time. I cannot find an air
engage switch (like I have on my deuce) and no extra tranny or
transfer case levers. Q2: Can you guys help me on what to look for on
this 5 ton to check the front drive engage/disengage? I've got the
books on my deuce but no data on the 5 ton or conversion. Thanks in advance,
Blaine
M35A2
New Mexico