Re: Excess Stuff and commerce (;->)

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 12:00:01 PST

I'd like to address this issue also.

Ted, IMO you would only be considered a commercial vehicle if you have
an engine of more than 5 BHP on your bicycle and you are hauling
materials that you intend to profit on when you sell them. That would
qualify you as a commercial motor vehicle. Now note that I did not say
that the engine has to be driving the bicyle at all. In fact according
to the law as I read it.... and the signs on the ramps leading to the
interstate, if you have a bicycle with an engine of 5 BHP or more
sitting in a basket that hangs from the handlebars, and even if it is
not running, you can still enter a limited access highway and thus enter
the weigh stations if you so desire. Note that in some states you may
need DOT numbers someplace on the frame, but I can't confirm this as all
states are different.

My guess is that a not-for-hire tag line on the chain guard may help.

However, driving such a bicycle down the right or left lane of a limited
access highway may attract police attention so you may want to stick to
driving such a vehicle at night, between the hours of 6 pm and 6 am to
avoid excessive enforcement.

Ted are you considering this new mode of transportation to minimize fuel
costs?? This may be better than biodiesel in saving money.

But hauling tire chains and Humvee tops may be difficult with such a
vehicle unless you arrange for some type of trailer. In that case you
are opening up a whole different can of worms since now you will have a
commercial vehicle pulling a commercial trailer and that may attact even
more police attention.

Have you considered getting a CBDL? (commercial bicycle drivers license)

I have heard of these but have not required one so far.

(;->)

Dave