Re: New to list

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 18:14:32 PST

Hi Marty

    This chart is from the -10 for the M44 series of trucks which include
the Deuce. If you plan to tow more than 10K, you'll need a bigger truck.
Lot's of folks here will say you can tow or they have towed or carried a lot
more than the rated load. But the deuces brakes are iffy from the get go,
and it is a single air over hydraulic circuit. If you only go out side the
limits once for 20 miles or so, say dragging a buddies deuce back home from
a break down, you'll probably get away with it. But if you plan to tow more,
and long distances too, think about a more recent commercial vehicle with
more dependability. I won't use the dreaded Commercial tag for what you are
doing, but if it involves money and you try to do this on the cheap, you'll
end up talking with someone like T.J. on the side of the road. He's one of
us, but his job is to protect the public from those of us who try to do iffy
things on the cheap and end up endangering the public. You haven't lived
until your buzzing down the road at 45 or so WITHOUT a trailer in tow and
the idiot soccer mom in the minivan pulls out or through the intersection
and you get to see how poorly a deuce's brakes perform. And lord help ya if
ya hit the loon, because the bottom of your front bumper is about even with
the top of her roof.

    Military trucks are dependable slow speed transportation, but things get
real interesting the faster you go, or the more weight you add. The military
used them over the road because it could do both cross country and highway

hauling adequately, and they really didn't have much choice. Same with the
Cross country non directional tread tires the military used. A compromise
tire that the vehicle operator had no say in it's choice. We do.

    The military towed comm. shelters behind deuces and larger using
'mobilizers'. Sounds kind of like what you're trying to do. You can see some
photos of what they look like here: http://tinyurl.com/7laot

    Anyways, that's my opinion (I have an M35A2). A lot of folks here will
have differing opinions, Bjorn and Kenny being a couple that come to mind.

Table 2-1. Weight (Pounds)

                                                             Gross
Payload Towed Towed

Truck Net Gross Cross- Payload
Cross- Load Load

Type w/wn Highway Country Highway Country
Highway Cross-Country

M35A1 13,530 23,530 18,530 10,000 5,000
10,000 6,000

M35A2 13,530 23,530 18,530 10,000 5,000
10,000 6,000

M35A2C 13,530 23,530 18,530 10,000 5,000
10,000 6,000

M36A2 15,750 25,510 20,750 10,000 5,000
10,000 6,000

     Welcome to the list and have fun,