Re: New to list

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 11:31:27 PST

Marty,

I have several trucks, including a M51 5 ton dump. If you are truly
going to be doing 500 mile jaunts with 8 tons plus trailer in tow, you
really don't want to use a M35 with a tag trailer IMO. You could use a
5 ton truck with a tag, if you really want to use an MV. But for what
you are talking about you will need three things - good brakes - basic
load capacity - and decent HP. Also, you probably don't want to beat
your portable shops to death during the trip. A single axle tractor and
a drop deck trailer with air ride suspension would be just about perfect
IMO.

It would not be too difficult to put together a jacking system to raise
the portable shops off the trailer so you can pull out from underneath
them. If you do it right, you can keep the rig under 55,000 lbs gross
and avoid the federal heavy vehicle tax. With what you want to do you
are clearly into CDL territory. HP wise if you are running on the flat,
you could get by with as little as 200 hp, but if you are into mountain
climbing then you should probably add 100 hp more.

I moved my M51 (23,000 lbs) about 300 miles on a gooseneck flatbed with
a 1 ton dually. It can be done, but I would not want to do that every
month! Plus the truck's transmission would simply not survive.

The M35 and M54 trucks are tactical vehicles meant to be on-off road
trucks. They do a great job for what they were designed to do, but an
over-the-road cruiser they are not (unless you have an iron axx).

Dave