Re: What do you think about Land Rovers as MV's

From: Jack Lee (milveh@dslextreme.com)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 18:16:21 PST

Anyone have any comments, good or bad, about ex-military Land Rovers? I
thought one might be nice to own, but have zero experience with them. Had a
quite a bit of "unpleasant" experience with Jaguars over the past years,
which sort of soured me on British vehicles, until I bought a Ferret. Now
that was a marvel of simplicity and ingenuity.

I hit on the ol Landy because I was looking for something inexpensive and
yet reliable like my old Volvo C-202 and sized comparable to my M151. Saw
quite a few for sale over on Milweb.org, prices seem reasonable, even after
import costs I could probably get my money back, if it was a decent runner,
which is always good if you have a limited budget.

So, any thoughts on what model and year might be the best bang for the
buck...(shopping around $8,000 USD) 101's, 110's, Defenders, LHD of course?
I've heard some horror stories about the frames on lightweights getting bent
easy and subject to rust, but never heard that from any credible source. I
wouldn't mind a diesel, but is petrol better or this just a personal choice
thing?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Jack