6.2 swap question

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 07:31:52 PST

I cannot give any experences for life or mileage of military General Motors
vehicles but have considerable experience with thier civilain vehicles

I have 1990 model GMC with 249,000 miles on 350 that came in it, nothing has
been done to engine except oil changes, I change oil and filter every time.
bought used from original owner.

I have 1993 3/4 ton Chevy pickup bought at utility deparment auction 140,000
when I got it 243,000 now - nothing been done to engine except oil and
filter change. Thius truck on regular basis pulls 9,000 pound trailer.

My favorite truck is 1976 GMC with in excess of 830,000 miles - yes 830k -
came with 350 - lost it to bad camshaft at 250,000 - in hurry to repair so
installed rebuilt 350 only got 200,00 on it - was left at idle too long and
oil pressure failed, bought wrecked 85 took engine with 80,000 out and put
in 76 at 280,000 lost coolant, engine damaged beyond reasonable repair. I
had taken 402 out or wife's car she had bought a replacement for and had
that engine and 400 tubo tranmission rebuild and put in 76 - it is still
running fine, is used as work truck hauls heavy loads and pulls loaded
trailer. - P.S. sold good 350 turbo transmission that came out at last
engine change at 650.000 miles all that had been done to transmission was
infrequent fluid changes.

I know this is long post but done to say that in my .02 other than failures
brought about by some sort of sudden oil, or coolant loss today's engines
have lots of life availalbe in them if given proper care and attention -
keep oil and water full, radator cleaned out - both inside and out.

My military vehicles are M37, M35, M139, M123a1, M151a1, M170, M38a1,
disassembled M135, and an assortment of trailers and parts vehicles

Everette