RE: Tank DECOY for sale

From: Randall Scheffler (roughdoc@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 16:32:58 PST

The M1 tank decoys were part of a Battlefield Deception project the Army did
in the mid to late 80's.

The largest quantity of decoys were the 3/4 size full front. There were
some 3/4 size oblique left and right too.

These were issued to units with Honda generators that powered the built in
thermal signatures. Some units hooked up the simulators from the miles
devices that produced a firing signature.

There are a very few full sized front decoys (2D) out there but they were
never issued.

At the Division level, the Battlefield Deception Elements had a bunch of 3 D
decoys (OH-58 and various fuel pods, etc., to replicate a refueling point).
The BDE also had some computer programmable communications devices to
replicate TOCs, etc.

In the last big REFORGER, the 10th Mountain Division did a battalion level
Air Assault on one of the 3rd Armored Division's decoy TOC.

The Pershing Missile guys had a bunch of 2D and 3D decoys along with a bunch
of wheeled vehicles to move them around to create dummy launch sites.

Some of the stuff that never got fielded (but worked) was artillery
silencers, replicators of the signals produced by the various Air Defense
weapons, etc. Nothing to get the attention of a helicopter pilot like a
missile lock, all out of a briefcase sized device!

Doc