Re: Pappy Boyington Still a Black Sheep at UW

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 14:05:42 PST

I already sent them an e-mail. This is what I wrote

Dear Student Council

It has come to my attention that the Student Council recently voted down a
monument to Pappy Boyington, a U of W alumni, saying that you chose not to
honor anyone for killing people. While I understand your thinking, I find
it rather narrow and lack the understanding of the sacrifices of those who
fought and served in World War II. While it is true that did kill some
pilots, they were also trying to kill him and this was done at a time of
war. If it wasn't for the sacrifices of him and many others during WWII,
our freedom, liberty and way of life as we know it today would probably not
exist.

Furthermore, Pappy Boyington is a recipient of the Medal of Honor and is
considered a national hero to many, including myself.

I hope the Student Council will reconsider their decision and find some way
to honor Pappy.

I'd also like the student council to study about WWII. Understand what
issues caused it, how it was fought and what we did after the war. Because

this event, more than any other in the last 100 years, has had a huge impact
on the USA and the world. And even though it occurred more than 60 years
ago, it's impact is still felt even today.

Darrell