Re: Ft. Wolters

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 20:57:55 PST

> Ft Wolters ???
>
> I was stationed at Wolters AFB in Mineral Wells Texas from Jan 1952 until
> April 1954 with SCARWAF (Special Category Army Attached With Air
> Force)units.
>
> I had heard it was changed to Ft Wolters, but cannot find out anything
about
> the base. Is it still in existence ???

Sort of. Wolters AFB was returned to the Army in 1956, and was the U.S.
Army's Primary Helo school until it was closed in June of '73. One
enterprising fellow currently runs a sales and service facility for the
Hiller OH-23/ UH-12 helicopter utilizing one of Ft. Wolters old maintenance
hangars, and I think similar swords-into-ploughshares type stuff has found
new uses for a number of the other buildings on base. You can take a sort
of 'then and now' tour by visiting here:

http://www.fwcvhpa.org/fw/testament.htm

Three cheers for BRAC!

 (mind the puddle of sarcasm. Someone could slip.)