Military Batteries

From: Buzz (muttman@charter.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 21:55:16 PST

Here's my story on auto batteries.

Back in 1989, when I worked for Pacific Bell, I shared a lab with the senior
power engineer. This guy worked power for Pac Bell since Alexander called for
Watson. When it came to power, this guy was THE main man for ALL Pac Bell
central offices.
One day we started talking auto batteries and as far as he was concerned Delco
Freedom batteries were the best. He told me that he had taken several auto
batteries apart and Delco had a patented plate design that allowed for more
plate exposure and Delco like some of the other better batteries have a mat
between the plates that trap the sulphate particles so that they don't fall to
the bottom of the battery and short the cell out.
I asked about military batteries and he told me that he had never taken one
apart. I asked if I could bring one in for him to look at and he said sure.
I brought in one of the dead batteries from my M151, empty and flushed out. He
cut the case about an inch or so down from the top all the way around the
battery then turned it over and tried to lift the case off. The case moved a
little bit but we used screwdrivers to finally get it off. He told me that
other than the extra plate supports and a lot of sulphate there was nothing
unusual about it. He rated it one the low end of the quality scale. About a 2
or 3. He rates the Sears batteries as a 1. But then each guy has his opinion.

Buzz