Re: Mutt Batteries 6TL

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 03:37:02 PST

To Wayne`s warning on the dangers of Sulphuric acid I would add the
following !
Whilst it is easier to get your diluted acid from a Normal supplier IF this
proves difficult then try a chemical supplier . The last time I bought 10
gals for about $40 , no questions , just a data sheet ! BE WARNED it is VERY
heavy , and spilt will bring a WHOLE new meaning to "rot your socks " !
 When diluting the acid NEVER ADD WATER TO CONCENTRATED ACID (98% )but
ALWAYS acid to COLD water , normally distilled or de-ionised !
This process will liberate a large amount of heat !
Wear old clothes , GOGGLES , and long rubber gauntlets , not thin
examination gloves. A plastic or rubber apron is also a good idea . Use a
glass , or THICK plastic container and add the acid VERY SLOWLY, paying
attention to how hot things are getting ! Check the S.G. with a hydrometer.
Before using allow to cool to room temp !
The S.G. of the diluted acid should be 1.260 at 60*F
This is for filling dry charged batteries !
ALWAYS LABEL CLEARLY CONTAINERS , NAME OF CONTENTS AND SPECIFICATIONS !
PLUS ANY WARNINGS , eg DO NOT DRINK !

Here lies the body of Johnny More,
Alas alack he is no more ,
For what he thought was H2S