M1008 CUCV problem/questions - fuel filter mounting unit.

From: Jim Cooney (triumphtrash13@eircom.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 12:34:03 PST

Hi List,

I've a few questions in relation to my M1008 CUCV. (any non MV content types
on the list please hit DELETE now!;-}).

I've had a few instances where my truck has been running roughly at low RPM
and then seems to clear itself and want to take off like poop off a
scoop.The problem seems to be an intermittent fuel starvation problem. On
St. Patrick's Day I was in a local parade with my truck. I was driving very
slowly at a typical parade pace. When I would stop during the parade and
then take off after maybe a couple of minutes, my truck would hesitate and
be reluctant to accelerate but would eventually clear itself and run OK. I
have a recently fitted lift pump in my truck however, the fuel filter
mounting assembly and fuel filter is off of an Isuzu SUV of some
description. This was fitted to my truck by it's previous owner. I have
changed the fuel filter regularly on my truck.

I intend putting back a second hand stock CUCV filter housing and new stock
filter on to my truck in the hope that this may help my truck's apparent
fuel problems. What I can't figure out is that the stock unit has three
different connectors coming out of it - one is a three pin block connector
with a yellow/black, red/black and a black wire leading to a sensor which
screws to the filter mounting unit - one is a square two pin connector with
a black wire and a brown wire coming out of it leading to a solid state unit
which is set in the top of the filter unit - the other is a two pin
connector which has a brown wire and a grey wire coming out of it which
leads to a sensor of some type which is mounted behind the filter on the
mounting plate. How come my truck runs without any of these wires/connectors
which aren't on the Isuzu unit? What is the function of all the wiring that
is on the stock unit? Where do they connect to? By replacing the filter unit
with a stock one would this help solve my intermittent fuel supply problem?

As we don't have very many US vehicles here in Ireland either civilian or ex
Military I have no other vehicles to check for reference therefore I'm
hoping that someone on the list will be be able to help me out.

Thanx in advance,

Jim.....in Ireland.
M1008 CUCV and S-250 Shelter.

PS......where does the much maligned "fuel pressure sensor switch" fit in
with the scheme of things?