Re: mortar men (sorta off topic)

From: Lee Houde (houdel@carrinter.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 18:35:57 PST

Yes, they are called increments. They are high explosive charges used to
increase the range of the mortor round when the internal charge would
not provide sufficient range at max tube elevation. They detonated when
the main charge fires to provide higher velocity and and thus greater
range for the round. I wouldn't recommend carrying them around in your
pocket unless you have a desire to be blown into a mass of
unrecognizable bits of flesh and bone. besides, I'm sure they are
illegal to own under ATFE regulations.