Re: M1008 CUCV problem/questions

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 22:46:47 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Howell" <doctormv@frontiernet.net>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M1008 CUCV problem/questions - fuel filter mounting unit.

> Your rough running problem sounds like what someone on the list
> described when their pump seals were breaking down from modern fuel
> additives. Do you know if your fuel has them? Original pumps will start
> having little black flakes stopping up the works as the seals start to
> break down. This will lead to total failure eventually or so I am
> told. Rebuilt pumps use additive resistant seals. I tried to find the
> original post but couldn't..

I don't have my book handy, but from what I remember reading it's something
like the "governor weight retainer clip" that breaks down thanks to the
additives. When it starts breaking down you get little black bits/flakes
clogging up the Cold Advance Valve screwed into the front of the injector
pump which seems to cause all sorts of things like odd acceleration/ no
acceleration/ delayed acceleration and/or hard starting. I lived with mine
misbehaving for a year and just unscrewed the valve whenever it gave me
trouble, freed it up with a small screwdriver, and blew it out with a shot
of ether or WD-40 or whatever I had handy until it was clear of black specks
and back to more-or-less working as it should (it's a spring-loaded glass
ball which works as a valve operated by a solenoid in the top of the
injector pump to aid cold starting.)

When it got really annoying and I had no time to acquire/change an injector
pump, I just took another bad Cold Advance Valve off a defunct pump and
gutted it so it was essentially just a straight-through, zero-resistance
tube. The resulting acceleration behaviour was odd but it got me up the
hills I needed to get up and kept me driving on a daily basis until I could
get around to changing the injector pump. Once I *did* finally get around
to changing the pump, the problems all disappeared, and I haven't had to
clean out a CAS valve in two years.

One thing I was a little leery of when shopping for an injector pump was all
those NOS 6.2 CUCV injector pumps which were around awhile ago (and still
show up now and then.) The new or rebuilt pumps have all the new components
which are supposed to stand up to the newer additives - but what about all
these mil-surplus "NOS" ones? Would they be 'NOS' complete with NOS
old-style seals/ parts subject to this additive-erosion? I didn't risk it,
and just got a used pump which came off a recently in-service wreck.