Re: NOS military radio antenna base MX-2799 AB-719/VRC on Ebay

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 08:30:21 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Horrocks, Aaron" <
ACHb@pge.com>
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] NOS military radio antenna base MX-2799 AB-719/VRC on Ebay

> HEY! I was bidding on that...

In Canada we used those right up until the 151 left service, if I remember
correctly. Before we went to the roll cages anyway. I've seen quite a
number of ex PPCLI M151A2s set up for the MX-6707 atop a bracket assembly
mounted above the spare tire (not the standard American one that goes on the
corner), with a special angle-bracket mounted on the left side rear of the
vehicle set up for the "box base AMU" or the MX-2799. My own M151A2 was set
up that way too.

For quite awhile we were getting nicely rebuilt and repainted MX-2799s out
of Crown Assets, all pristine inside thanks to the efforts of a rebuilder
which is still in business, "Valeriote Electronics" (now just known as
VALCOM) located in either Quebec or Ontario. One of our local chapter
members was doing some shopping here in Vancouver in his M151A2 with an
MX-2799 mounted, and one of the higher-ups from VALCOM just happened to be
walking by and noticed the old "Valeriote Electronics" sticker. At the time
this fellow said he'd help out the collectors with whatever he could (and in
fact one of our members managed to get something rebuilt years later on the
QT using leftover parts once the item had been purged from Canadian
inventory) - but my recent contact with them a few years ago was entirely
less than positive ("Because of Security Concerns we can't do anything for
the General Public...<party line>...)

I like the 2799 better than the 6707 despite the fact it doesn't have a knob
to manually change the tuning range like the 6707, as the 2799 doesn't seem
to be subject to the same water ingression problems to anything like the
same degree. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a bad 2799, where I have
poochified 6707's stacked like cordwood. I guess the only real headache is
finding the bottom mast section for the MX2799 as opposed to the more common
one which fits the 6707, but they show up now and then.