Re: Radio top for M151 series?

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 08:48:41 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen Closson" <glen_closson@earthlink.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Radio top for M151 series?

.

> >The M515A2 Canadian had a rollcage which was also the top bow assembly,
> >unlike the US ROPS kit which fit under the existing bows and top.

> Interesting! I did not know this

Yup. And our cages were steel with steel 'feet' and instead of all the
socket modifications carried out to the back of the 151 as with the American
ROPS cages, we just mounted that end of the cage to flat steel plates which
in turn bolted to the top of the rear fenders. The problem with the steel
cage as opposed to the alloy ones was both the weight and the harsh rust-out
wherever the mounting feet were..mounted. One of our collectors got a set
of American alloy 'feet' and mounted the Canadian cage with those instead of
the steel variety and seems to be winning the rust battle so far. We also
did strange things with the door rods etc. to get the doors to fit without
any of the factory stuff which got binned along with the top bow assembly.
It all looked a bit high-school metal shop to me, but it worked until the
vehicles left service. (The tops sure looked ugly because the roof geometry
of the cage wound up higher and a bit narrower than the top bows had been,
so the top was just stretched over this thing and reefed down as tight as
possible leaving seams and reinforcement lines and whatever resting wherever
they happened to rest.)

Many of the ones fitted with the cage still retained their special Canadian
type "spare tire" MX-6707 mounts too. The mount itself was recycled from
its use on earlier 1/4 tons, and was mounted on top of a box and supporting
piece made up out of flat steel. You dismounted the spare tire, bolted this
box on to the spare tire wheelnut lug, then drilled two holes for the
support 'leg' aways down towards the bumperette. One it was installed, the
antenna mount could be bolted to the top of the box assembly, and the box
also had a second spare-tire wheelnut lug which allowed you to remount your
spare - just backwards.

One of the guys has an M151A2 fitted with all that out here at work. I'll
see if I can post some pictures later this evening.