Re: Pseudo HMVs and Re enactors

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 08:09:15 PDT

Ron,

My buddy's brother owns the Chinese knock-off motorcycle with sidecar. Has his painted in the Wehrmacht blue gray with white stars. Frankly, he did too nice of a job.

All photos I've seen of captured vehicles in use have a big sloppy star painted on every side's largest panel. The stars look like they've been put on with a wallpaper paste brush...hasty and almost amateurish.

I'd imagine experienced GI's became fairly adept at distinguishing friendly vehicles from foe by war's end, even at a distance, and a great big star might make the difference from having a good day or a very BAD day. I'd also imagine that regardless of how well marked it was, one would probably not stray too far from his own outfit on captured equipment given the distinctive sound most German equipment has. And of course there were the Jabos who were always looking for something to hose.

TJ

From: "Ron" <
rojoha@adelphia.net>