Re: Gas Prices?

From: Bill (bill@armyfiretrucks.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 21:57:44 PDT

The Study you quote is 26 years old as it was penned in 1980. It is old
information from a tree hugger slant.

Even with all the positive hype the study recognized....

Carburetor and fuel pump. Ethanol of 160 proof or better can be used in
most ordinary cars if the flow of fuel to the engine is increased. Fuel
must be increased because the heat values for ethanol are lower than
those for gasoline. Hence, the carburetor fuel jets must be enlarged,
usually by about 40 percent. The fuel pump, now called upon to deliver
twice as much volume as before, also must be augmented.

  Starting device. Another desirable addition, and one that is a
necessity if you live in the northern United States, is some form of
device for starting in cold weather. This device can be either a block
heater, or a propane gas cylinder, solenoid valve and a
pressure-reducing valve. The propane system is designed to inject the
flammable gas into the air cleaner when you turn on the car starter
switch. While propane gas will remain in the vapor state until it
reaches the cylinder, alcohol becomes more difficult to vaporize as the
thermometer drops below 50º F.

  Preheater. Even when vaporized in the carburetor, alcohol may condense
on the cold walls of the intake manifold. Compared with gasoline,
alcohol produces larger droplets and rapid coagulation that makes proper
distribution of the fuel-air mixture to each cylinder more difficult.
This is the reason for the gas starter, and for the addition of air
preheating. The latter is accomplished by passing the incoming air over
part of the exhaust system. Light sheet metal scoops are the usual
solution, while flexible metal ducting, of a diameter somewhat greater
than that of the carburetor inlet, may also be run against a section of
exhaust pipe.

MV CONTENT

The effect on our older Gas burning HMV's will be devestating. The
"rubber" components in the fuel pumps, fuel lines, and carbs will be
eaten severely by this new blend. The stuff is so caustic that it can't
be "blended" at the refinery and shipped by pipeline. The Raw Gasoline
is shipped by pipeline...The Ethanol has to be shipped by barge or truck
so it does not damage the pipeline and then mixed at the delivery depot
prior to dealer delivery. They are willing to sacrifice the 6000 gallon
tanker and not the whole pipeline system.

It would now be a good time to switch to an electric fuel pump and
replace all your fuel lines with modern alcohol immune fuel line. Also
make sure your HMV insurance has a towing option. (You might want to do
the same with your Civy Car. The automaker I work for expects a 50% plus
failure rate on the fuel systems of pre 1995 cars.)

The biggest problem will be with the WWII/Korean HMV's. If carb rebuild
kits can't be found with the new alcohol resistant diaphram material
then you can't successfully rebuild the carb. If it doesn't pay to tool
up to produce these limited use diaphrams...lets say for a WWII Zenith
M29 Carb used on M8's, M20's, Scout Cars, AA Searchlights....then they
will have to be parked until another alternative (carb adaptation) can
be found.

I have been in the automobile business for 30 years...this is going to
be a nightmare of biblical proportion for the older vehicles. It will
pull them off the Road....Something that the tree huggers have been
trying to get done all along.

And just wait until you have to replace your lawnmower, chainsaw,
weedwacker, snowmobile, because of the fuel......

http://www.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/dwg/dwgch2.htm which deals with

--
..."A good plan executed violently today is better than a perfect plan
executed at some indefinite time in the future.  General George S.

Any ship can be a minesweeper . . . . once.