Re: Historic vs Collector Vehicle

From: joeyounginc@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 27 2006 - 16:03:13 PDT

I've been tagging vehicles with NJ Historic Tags since 1973. I've never
encountered a mileage limitation with NJ, only with the insuramce
companies. By law, you can only use the vehicle as stated on the
tag application, these being in part, car shows and car club activities.
After one of our MV club members encountered a problem while out
for a Suday drive (police officer ordered him out of town because
there were no parades that day), I contacted NJDOT and was
advised that by the letter of the law there is no provision for
casual outings, like a Sunday drive, while tagged as NJ Historic
Vehicle.
The DOT man did say that it would take a real rat of a cop to cite
someone for the offense, but it can happen. NJ has created a new
tag for collector cars, but I don't think that our mil-vehicles qualify.
Joe Young