Re: General Motors to End Hummer H1 Production

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 21:47:36 PDT

It's just profit taking at it's best. I'm sure that the Civy version
may have cost perhaps 10-20K more but that's about it. The facility in
Elkhart has limited capacity even though they recently expanded it. It
really isn't anything like a traditional GM assembly plant in size.
Also, remember that GM doesn't own AM General, they only have a contract
with them. So perhaps AM General renegotiated the contract making it
less profitable for GM and AM General. Or perhaps AM General wanted GM
out of their company before GM goes under. I don't know. My previous
point was that GM is a master at throwing away opportunities. I think
they just pitched away a big one when they dropped the H-1. I think
they did the same thing with Oldsmoble a while ago.

I do know that GM was involved in the plant expansion in Elkhart. All
of the specs for the plant expansion came right out of GM.

Dave